Welcome to my 5 Days of Advent Traditions for Catholic Families. See below for each day’s theme, as well as details on how to enter the Advent Prize Pack Giveaway!
You know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men? That would be Advent in my house.
- Exhibit A: the Jesse Tree. We’ve never gotten more than ten ornaments on the tree.
- Exhibit B: 25 days of service. We’re lucky if we make it to five.
- Exhibit C: the O Antiphons. “Oh! I forgot the Antiphon!”
Every year I have the best of intentions, and every year I abandon them, a millstone of maternal failure dangling from my neck. You know what that’s like, right? It’s hard enough to raise Catholic children in the face of societal and seasonal chaos. Add a healthy dose of self doubt and you’ve got a recipe for parental disaster.
This year, though, I’m ready for a change. And I’m willing to bet you are, too. It’s time to stop feeling like we aren’t enough, like our efforts are useless and wasted. It’s time to make Advent a prayerful and penitential season marked by joy and peace – not cluttered by uncertainty and exhaustion. That’s why starting tomorrow, I’ll be bringing you five days of meaningful, approachable Advent traditions designed to prepare your hearts and minds for Christmas
Each day, I’ll feature the work of five talented artisans whose products (and discount codes!) will enrich your Advent season without breaking the bank:
- On Monday, we’ll talk about Advent planning, with ideas and products to help you build a home altar, a Jesse Tree, a sacrifice manger, and more.
- On Tuesday, we’ll cover Advent prayer, from interactive prayer time to solemn devotions.
- On Wednesday, we’ll explore things you can create as family, including ornaments, baked goods, and creative Advent calendars.
- On Thursday, I’ll offer creative opportunities and activities for Advent service.
- On Friday, I’ll share some of our favorite picture book titles from Tomi dePaola (and a few others) to help you find a title a day through Advent.
Plus – you can win an Advent prize pack, including
- this gorgeous print from Sweet Little Ones
- a copy of Jen Frost’s book, Our Family’s Jesse Tree
- this Advent prayer planner from The Catholic Box
just from entering the giveaway on Monday’s post!
Our Advent plans don’t have to go the way of those best laid by mice and men. Our Advent plans can be meaningful, approachable, and do-able right from the start. I look forward to walking the journey to Bethlehem with you.
Don’t forget to check out the Advent Prize Pack giveaway on Monday!